Friday, July 24, 2015

Baked Oatmeal for Breakfast


Baked oatmeal is the most delicious and satisfying thing you can eat for breakfast.  There, I said it.  If you have not had baked oatmeal before, then I am about to change your life. 

Chocolate Coconut Baked Oatmeal Teacher Breakfast

You know that instant oatmeal that turns to something like the love child of glue and concrete if you let it sit out for too long?  That is NOT what I’m talking about.  Not only will you not let this sit out for too long because it’s DELICIOUS, but at no point will it turn into a substitute for glue.

Oh and it’s like healthy and stuff too.  The fruit you put in it is REAL.  And there isn’t any processed anything.  In fact you will be able to name all of the ingredients, which you can’t say about anything ‘instant’. 

You ever have one of those days in the classroom where you are SO hungry (probably the class right before your lunch period) that all you can think about is that sandwich waiting for you in the fridge?  Or that awful delicious pizza they serve in the cafeteria?  And someone in that class does something ridiculous, that under normal circumstances you wouldn’t let fly in your classroom, but since literally the only thing you can think about is food, you don’t say a word.  You don’t even have the energy for an angry glare.  Some kid says something rude or does something out of line and the class looks at you and waits for you to say something or issue a consequence.  And you don’t.  Because pizza is the only thing on your mind.  You just look at the clock and tell your stomach to hang on just 8 more minutes and if chaos ensues that so be it because your energy level is at zero.

Other people have had those class periods too, right?  Tell me it’s not just me.

Well hungry-teacher-who-lets-chaos-ensue will happen no more with baked oatmeal for breakfast!  I’m serious.  A couple years ago I had my planning period first period, so I brought baked oatmeal in a small Tupperware every day and heated it up in the microwave and ate breakfast as I prepared for the day.  When I had my planning period late in the day, I would take 10 minutes in the morning to scarf down a bowl before running out the door to work.

Have I sold you on it yet?  There are endless variations, but one of my favorites is Chocolate Coconut Baked Oatmeal.  I came up with this recipe myself! 

2.5 cups old-fashioned oats (not the instant or the steel-cut)
2 cups milk (I use skim and I have used soy, so any kind will do)
2 cups coconut milk
½teaspoon salt
½cup unsweetened coconut flakes
½cup sliced almonds
½cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons of brown sugar (white will do as well)

Preheat the oven to 375.  Mix the oats, salt, coconut, almonds, and sugar together in a large bowl.  In a separate small bowl, mix both milks and then pour into the dry ingredients.  Mix the wet and dry ingredients and then add in the chocolate chips and mix well.  Pour into a 6x8 baking dish (or anything of a similar size) and cook for 45-50 minutes.  Makes 8 servings. 

I make baked oatmeal just about every week, divide the portions up into small baggies or Tupperware, and store them in the fridge for the week.  Then each morning I pull one out, toss it in the microwave for a minute on high in a bowl, and add some milk to cool it down and bring it back to life.  It takes a couple minutes each Sunday to put together and a delicious breakfast is made for the week!

Now I have one cautionary tale - don’t be like my mom.  She substitutes the milk for some bizarre type of milk I’ve never heard of, she puts chia seeds in it, she uses a different type of sweetener instead of brown sugar.  She makes too many substitutions!  And then she complains that it doesn’t come out well and isn’t as delicious as when I make it.  Follow.  The.  Recipe.  Seriously.  I don’t know what chia seeds are used for, but they don’t belong with oatmeal.  If you must make one substitution, then do it, but limit yourself to one!  I cannot come over your house to make baked oatmeal properly like I can with my mom.  It’s all probably a ploy to get me over there.


After you make this, you will surely want more recipes.  You can, of course, simply google “baked oatmeal” along with your favorite fruit or ingredient that goes well with oatmeal (not chia seeds).  Here are my favorites:

Mr. Breakfast’s Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal

Delicious Living’s Cherry Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal


What are your favorite breakfast foods to keep away the hungry-teacher-who-lets-chaos-ensue situation?

5 comments:

  1. Yum. Although I would be just like your mom trying to make substitutions left and right, lol. It is my dream to make something like this in the crock pot... any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried oats in a crock pot, but I know "overnight oats" exist. You put everything together and let it all sit in the fridge overnight so the next morning all the oats are soft from soaking in the milk all night. You could try that! I haven't eaten them myself, but I've seen them so I know they at least look delicious!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up to my Healthy Eats linky! You are so right about eating a god breakfast to get you through although I am not a huge oatmeal fan my daughter would love this, I might have to give it a whirl this coming weekend :)

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for offering a linky for my first (and so far only) blog post! Let me know if you do try some baked oatmeal! It's delicious, I promise! :)

      Delete