3 Easy Tips for Teaching the Spanish Date Unit | Miss Señorita

3 Easy Tips for Teaching the Spanish Date Unit



You ever wonder how you can easily teach calendar vocabulary in Spanish 1? Here are 3 tips to make it seamless and comprehensible!

Calendar Talk

"Calendar Talk" sounds like it's for elementary school, but it's really just incorporating the date into your routines when you start class.

Even in high school.

I give students a short and easy bell work assignment for the first few minutes of class while I take attendance and get my life together.

Then when I'm ready to actually start, I greet the class, and I have them trained to respond in chorus.

At the beginning of the year, I ask "¿Cuál es la fecha de hoy?" and I have the whole class repeat. Then I have everyone repeat the full date with the day of the week, number, month, and year.

Once students know it like the back of their hand, I call on an individual student to read the date.

By the time the Unit 1 Assessment rolls around, students don't even have to review the date vocabulary because they know it so 👏 darn 👏 well 👏. 


Explicitly teach calendar vocabulary

If Calendar Talk is the only exposure students have to days of the week and months of the year vocabulary, they'll never learn julio, sábado, or domingo. 😂

I recommend you include a variety of listening, speaking, and writing activities. 


Plus a project!

And definitely have students make a year-long calendar!

You'll be shocked to know how engaged students will be - whether you have them make their calendars on paper or digitally. 

I have them write out all the days of the week, starting with lunes, all the months, and they can include seasons and holidays. 



Make this the easiest unit to teach


The Spanish Days, Months, Seasons, & Date Unit in my TpT store will make this the easiest unit to teach!

This is a 5-day (for 50-minute classes) unit that teaches days of the week, months of the year, and seasons so that students can state the date in Spanish, as well as what season each month falls into. 

There are both paper and digital Google Slides versions. 

This unit culminates in a project in which students make a 12-month calendar in Spanish. 

It includes bell work and exit tickets for each day, powerpoints that teach the vocab, vocabulary sheets, classworks, a homework assignment, a rubric and checklist for the project, a Teacher's Guide, and answer keys. 




How do you teach the date in Spanish? Share your tips in the comments!




No comments

Post a Comment