Easy Thanksgiving Activities in the Spanish Classroom | Miss Señorita

Easy Thanksgiving Activities in the Spanish Classroom



Thanksgiving isn't exactly a Hispanic Holiday, but it can be tricky to figure out what to do that Wednesday (or sometimes Tuesday also) before Thanksgiving.

Many students will be out of town, so you don't want to teach something new.

But every student you wish was going to be out of town will absolutely be there.

I use that Wednesday before Thanksgiving to teach Thanksgiving-related vocabulary.

It's easy, so no one has to think too hard, students who are absent don't miss anything, and it keeps students in an academic (not chaotic) mindset.

I have a variety of Thanksgiving-themed games and activities available in my TpT store and here are some suggestions to keep kids in the target language:

Scavenger Hunt

I looooove scavenger hunts because students get up out of their seats and walk all around the room.

They see a picture for the vocabulary word (or a description in Spanish for upper-level classes) and they have to write the vocabulary word, find it around the room, walk over to it, see or read the next clue, and continue until the last clue leads back to the first vocabulary word.

There's also a digital version that is basically multiple choice. Students have to choose the correct vocab word for the Thanksgiving picture.

I have blogged about how to set up a scavenger hunt activity HERE.


I Have Who Has

"I Have Who Has" (or "Yo Tengo Quien Tiene") can be a fun whole-class activity to review vocabulary.

Each student gets a card that says "Yo tengo" and a picture of a Thanksgiving-related vocabulary item. Then under that it says "¿Quién tiene" and names another vocabulary word.

Any student can start by reading their question, then the student who has that vocabulary word responds and reads their question, and the game is over when it loops back to the first student.


Memory

Memory is also a great partner game because students will play quietly (doesn't every teacher enjoy some peace and quiet?) while also reviewing vocabulary.

And they already know the rules, so it's super easy to set up and get everyone started.

Students can also play a digital version in partners! They take turns revealing cards to make matches, just like they would in person.

Thanksgiving Memory

Turkey Coloring Activity

And, one of my all-time favorite types of activities, a good coloring activity also maintains a low level of murmur in the classroom while students reinforce Spanish concepts.

I cannot tell you how much I love coloring activities. 

I have blogged about incorporating coloring into the high school classroom HERE.

Instead of Thanksgiving-related vocabulary, I made turkeys with conjugated verbs in them and students have to color each part of the turkey based on the subject pronoun of the verb.

Then you can bet I staple them up on a bulletin board to display all the pretty turkeys. Even high school students want to see their pretty turkeys displayed for all classes to admire.

coloring activity

Thankful Writing Activity

I sometimes give upper-level classes a writing assignment - ¿por qué estás agradecido?.

They have to write a paragraph about what they are thankful for. We brainstorm ideas as a class, write a sentence or two together, and then I allow students to finish independently.

If your classroom is virtual, they can also do a Google Doc version of this activity - in English or Spanish.

You already know I staple their paragraphs up on a bulletin board with the pretty verb Turkeys.

Agradecido Writing activity

Word Wall

Have you ever had an administrator walk into your room and look at student papers you have posted to a bulletin board and see that the date is from 3 months ago?

And then they give you a look of disappointment and ask you to change the papers and keep it "relevant".

Ugh.

Do you want me to teach or do you want me to play with bulletin boards?? 

Teacher Confession: I do NOT like making bulletin boards. There are so many things to do as a teacher and fooling around with decorating a bulletin board is so far down my list of priorities.

And then I figured out how to make my bulletin boards work for me.

Word walls! 

I type up the vocabulary words for the current unit for each of my classes and add the clipart I use for each vocabulary word, print, laminate, and post to the bulletin board!

And voila! A reference to help students out (so long as I'm not giving a vocabulary quiz!) and I can leave it up for weeks. 

No administrator can be upset about how my Word Wall isn't current.

Word Wall

Thanksgiving Bundle

I have a Thanksgiving bundle in my store that includes: 
  • Turkey Verb Coloring Activity
  • Estoy Agradecido Writing Activity (+ digital version)
  • Thanksgiving I Have Who Has
  • Thanksgiving Memory (+ digital version)
  • Thanksgiving mini-lesson with a powerpoint (+ digital version)
  • Vocabulary Sheet
  • Writing Activities (+ digital versions)
  • Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunts (+ digital version)
  • Thanksgiving Word Wall
  • Lesson Plan for the teacher

It allows for differentiation and a variety of activities for Spanish classes of all levels!

What activities do you like to do the day before Thanksgiving to keep students engaged? Comment below!

Miss Señorita signature



2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete