Exit Tickets for People Who Don't Like Data | Miss Señorita

Exit Tickets for People Who Don't Like Data


I don't like data. Do I look like a math teacher???!!!

My first year of teaching my admin and mentor teacher tried to tell me I had to have an exit ticket every day and at the end of every period I had to examine the data to see how many kids got the lesson, how many were shaky, and how many were lost. 

Examine the data?! Excuse me??


And then I had to rework the next day's lesson based on this info. 

Omg that sounds like so. much. work.

Who has time for that???!!

I don't love data, but I do loooooooove me some exit tickets!

Back up, what's an exit ticket?

Exit tickets tell you if your students were mentally present in class today or nah.

It's your lesson boiled down to like 5 questions.

Examples:

- Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb that we just spent 40 minutes conjugating.

- Answer these questions about what happened in the text we just spent 40 minutes reading, summarizing, analyzing, and talking about.

- Match these vocab words that we just spent 40 minutes using today with their correct picture.



Exit ticket routines that work

Pass out a half-sheet with the questions or exercises printed on them when there is 5 minutes of class left.

Or pass out a blank half-sheet and project the questions or exercises to the board. I have blank exit tickets (for free!) here

Have a bin that sits by the door so students can hand them in on their way out the door. 

There will be no unnecessary getting up out of seats. Nice try, kids.


via GIPHY

You can literally scoop the exit tickets up as the next class walks in your door and greet kids as they enter, while simultaneously glancing through last period's exit tickets. 

It's quick and easy and (most importantly) adds no extra time to your day after the last bell rings.

How many students got it or mostly got it? Who do you need to give more attention to tomorrow because "yo cantar" is not and will never be a thing?

No laborious examinations of data. Just a quick 2-minute glance of feedback on who got it, who didn't get it, and who's in the middle.

Sometimes you can grade it and give it back to students or sometimes you can feed it to the trash monster. 

I'm not saying I've ever just put numbers on them and handed them back to students the next day like they were graded, but maybe I did and maybe I didn't.

Want to save even more time?

Of course you do. Duh.

You can get my exit tickets for Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and Spanish 3 in my TpT store. 

I can't grade them for you, and I quite honestly refuse to do anything that feels like examining the data, but these will certainly cut down on your prep time!


Do you have any other great tips for exit tickets? Please share in the comments!




No comments

Post a Comment